But He was wounded for our transgressions
He was crushed for our wickedness
The punishment for our well-being fell on Him
And by His stripes we are healed.
The stripes signified his tattoos …
Our names where tattooed there on his body
Don’t be startled he cant forget us
Our names are permanently tattooed on his skin
So say to yourself “He tattooed me”
With his Alcoholic love,
That produces eternal drunkenness
He tattooed us
So that when we fall in love we get risen by his Grace
Cause falling for him is rising in peace
So say to yourself “He tattooed me”
When troubles seems to roar at us,
Like the animal king trying to scare its pride
We roar back with an unknown language
And confusion becomes the dress they wear
So you know what to say “He tattooed me”
Let us suck sense when we think of Success
its not by what you have but by who you have
And when you succeed and the seed you sucked
Makes you feel it is by your power then your sense sulks!
I’ll tell you a story
about one man they called Joseph,
Whose destiny was wrapped carefully with poverty,
Whose freedom was enclosed in the hands that collected money for him to be sold,
Who was tied above for people to watch from below exactly how God made him,
Whose pride was locked up in a prison they called circumstances!
But within him laid a being that has been his assurance, he called father
Who looked at him in such situation and called him ‘Success’
so when you feel it is all finished
Say to your self “He tattooed me”
Not in the power of other spirit
But in the power of the spirit he promised never to leave or forsake us
For the sake of love on the cross he shed his blood for me!
…and when my feelings tend to lecture me on if God is with me or not
I’ll sit it down and give it a cup filled with his words to taste and see that the Lord is good!
– Felzpoecy (2019)
If you are in Nigeria and you would like to share your message in the art of spoken word poetry with the world then this platform might just be right for you!
Yes, the call for submissions are open and here are the guidelines;
FOR POETS PER EVENT
1. All prospective entries should be forwarded to the designated email on or before 15th of June 2019.
2. A maximum of two(2) entries will be accepted for evaluation, only one will make it to audition stage and ultimately presentation.
3. All entries should be typed in Word format and attached to an email containing Artists, a). Full names b.) Pen/ Stage name c.)Phone number d). Location e). A short description of yourself ( not more than 3lines).
And sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Entries containing inappropriate words, profane expressions, pointless hints of violence, sex, rage, revelry and/or general disorderly misconduct will be overlooked immediately.
5. Entries shouldn’t be shorter than 2 minutes and no longer than 5 minutes allocated time for audio presentation.
FOR TOUR POETS
Are you an experienced Christian spoken word poet, able and willing to be a mentor to younger poets?
With regards to our upcoming Tour, anyone who would like to present at all venues will be required to submit the piece they would be performing to email@example.com with the various specifics
– Subject of the mail should indicate that yours is for the Tour
– Your submission should meet all the guidelines of the regular submission
– Submit alongside the written piece, an audio recording of your piece. (Phone recordings will suffice)
– Submission Deadline is 30th April.
There you go!
If you have any problems do contact us and we do look forward to your amazing artistry!
– Chief Editor
For the Penspeak Board
Some people claim love does not exist
But let me let you in on a little secret I know
I have firsthand beheld love’s true being, I can tell where it lives
Hold your horses, don’t be hasty without no compass in my hand
I will reveal love’s abode, I will tell you where it breeds
It lives in the morning tea we take together at our table
The prayer we said to our father before we left our comfy rest
It lives in the goodbye we say longing for more minutes but looking forward
To the beauty of the evening when work would have hid its face
Producing fruits we would together feast on – our satisfaction found at home
It takes us by surprise as the little boy that has now become ours
The smile that spreads through our eyes as he speaks songs strung from our heart
It is the worry that lines our face as we tend to a skinned knee, a broken heart
It is the conviction we instill, the purpose to fulfil, the truth we teach and live further and farther
It is in looking back at those years, watching amazed as a son celebrates our love, father and mother
- Ezeonyeka Godswill
As a team of writers we have come quite a long way and God has made it clear, he is only going to take us higher and yet deeper. (call that writer’s humour).
Without further ado, expect more in 2019, expect God in 2019.
More Videos and Audio projects
More and more and more
This year’s Penspeak Event has been themed MANIFEST and oh my it is the set time!